Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Makeup Battle Station


Lately, I've picked up a new hobby.  It has been about five years since I bought any makeup.  I spent a few weeks hanging out with the amazing makeup communities on reddit at Makeup Addiction and Make Ents to get the heads up on what to look for out of the new brands and trends that I had NO CLUE about.  Then I went out and took home my haul.  It was sooooooo much fun tinkering around and figuring out what I was doing again and what has changed/improved. Mainly, omg the improvements in foundation!!!  Anyway the problem with this new hobby is that I am still stuck in my tiny-ass apartment with my tiny-ass bathroom with literally(in the literal sense *sigh*) no counter space.  So, I devised a plan to fit my makeup into my bathroom and make it easy and accessible.  My idea included:


  • A nail polish/lipstick tray
  • snack size Pringles can
  • dollar store baking sheet
  • Hardcore glue (I used Loctite Crafter's)
  • Hardcore magnets (Magnet buttons - Walmart)
  • Spray paint (color and clear sealer)
  • Acrylic paints 
  • sand or aquarium gravel
  • Screws, wall mounts, string etc. (I'm no pro I recommend googling tips on hanging on various surfaces and finding studs.)
First I coated everything in my favorite color ever, orange!  I put 3 coats on all three pieces. I like to let it dry overnight between coats to really make sure it's dry.  I tend to mess these things up by rushing them. :)














Next I put a clear coat just in case before the acrylic design. 




















After that I broke out my glue and magnets.  Be careful to make sure that the magnets or glue do not cover important parts on the back of your compacts such as instructions for application, allergy information, or color name/code.  Let them dry overnight too.











I apologize, I did take a picture of the cleared cooking sheet after I have finished painting it before it was mounted but my phone freaked out and deleted it.  So, I just did a freehand design on the sheet, gave it another clear coat, and then came time to hang it. I had a really tough time.  Putting holes in the cook sheet was easily done hammering a nail through it into dirt.  My problem is my bathroom corner that I wanted to put it on was basically one big stud.  I improvised and hung the tray and tool can by reinforced twine.

Of course I couldn't not show a few pictures of how my foray back into the wonderful world of make up turned out.... completely with obligatory in /r/makeupaddiction tradition with derp faces!



What's your battle station look like?  I'm hoping mine will improve greatly after I move this summer.  I'll post the process on that too.  I am dreaming big :)

Like, comment, share, and subscribe!!!!

See you next Tuesday!


1 comment:

  1. This was a brilliant idea and saved so much space for us! I love the obligatory Derp faces too!!

    ReplyDelete