Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Your Needy Serger

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEY EVERYBODY!!!  So, It just so happens a few weeks after I got my awesome Serger for Christmas from my awesome man, Craftsy had a sale on it's Beginner Serging Class.  How could I say no to a fundamentals class for less than 20 bucks when I had a brand new machine I had absolutely no idea how to use?

The first thing the class instructor did was go over ALL the pieces that come with the machine and are on the machine.  She had a brush with a hole on the end for holding up your needle while switching them out.  I went to a craft store and couldn't find one, so I bought a few elastic threaders.  Their holes ended up being too big.   Well, call me Goldiklutz because after dropping 3 needles into my machine and spending too much time fishing them out I was DETERMINED to make a little needle-holder-upper-thingy for myself.

So, I found a few supplies and burnt a hole into one of the elastic threaders with my needle.  I wouldn't recommend trying this, because I almost got a needle through my hand more times than I care to say, but I just wanted to make the point that by 30 I can officially say that I learned more useful life skills making things to smoke wacky tobaccy out of as a rebellious teen than I did learning cursive....just sayin'.


Anyone else remember being told "From this point on, everything you will ever do for school will be written out in cursive.  If your teacher can't read it you will fail." In 5th grade?


Haven't used it formally since.  YAY technology, because I have HORRID handwriting!!!


Anyway, now that it took less than 45 minutes to change needles the class went much smoother.  After learning all the parts of the machine, the instructor went into the different stitches.  They also provide you with handy  worksheets to write down tensions, stitch width, etc. of the stitch and attach a sample of the stitch to.  It is nice to feel like I know EXACTLY what my machine is capable of now.  I also feel VERY confident in my ability to change needles and re-thread......seriously....I had to do it about 50 times or so.



I also got a little bit of inspiration by the HUGE ASS MESS I made in my kitchen... I needed something to put my shit in. I found a pin to make a scrap catcher but it looks unnecessarily complicated so I think I will just make my own.  More on that later most likely.

For the amount I paid, this class was more than worth it.  The women who instructs the class was SUPER nice and had one of those voices you could fall asleep to.  She really does a good job of explaining the different ways the machine works and even explains the parts on three separate models.  I believe the full price was around $40, but this was only a review on the first lesson.  There were projects too!  More on that next week!



<---------My Battlestation

See You Next Tuesday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment