Tuesday, April 22, 2014

CLEAN UP YOUR MESS!!!


Remember my disgusting mess?




Alright, so I found a bunch of pins for complex serger mats with scrap catchers.  Really though, they were way too complex for what I needed.  When Pinterest fails me, I tend to just rush right in and see what the fuck I can come up with.  Fortunately, I had some left over fabric squares from my the Beginner Serging class that I didn't use.  They were now going to become my cool, firey looking general waste collector mat of AMAZINGNESS!!!!!!!!!!


So, I started by measuring my machine.  After getting it's measurements I cut my fabric

3 - 14"x20" pieces
4 - 2"x5" pieces
4 - 2"x12" pieces
Large square of scrap fabric for bag (larger=deeper)

2 - 2"x5" pieces Fusible Interfacing
2 - 2"x12" pieces Fusible Interfacing

I only had a little fusible interfacing left so I saved it for the top of the scrap bag to keep it open.   Since I had nothing to make the mat sturdy I decided to just use three layers of fabric for thickness. For the bottom two layers I simply pined the first cut main mat rectangle to a t-shirt and cut around it.  BAM two more layers.


Next step, serging the first edge.  Either of the long edges.  This will be the back side of your serger mat.  I used a 4-thread over lock and adjusted for tension along the way because I was just whipping this together to clean up my mess.  If you want to take the time to do a test stitch and get your tensions just right make sure you save some fabric scraps.



After that I did the two shorter edges.


Next I took my scrap bag opening pieces and ironed them with the fusible interface to make it sturdy. I also finished off one of the  long edge on the two shorter pieces and one of the long ones for the top edge of the scrap bag.  the last one will be serger onto the mat so you don't need to edge it.


After that I took my random large square of scrap fabric and sewed the four bag opening pieces to the middle of each side of the big scrap fabric piece.


Then I brought the edges of the first corner together and flattened out the scrap fabric to make where my first seam on the scrap bag would go.


Repeat to sew all four corners together.


Last step was pining the scrap bag onto the final unfinished edge of the mat.  I spaced mine so it would be right under my blade to catch everything best.  I'd suggest you do the same.



Finish the last edge and there you have it.  A BIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIG time saver for cleaning up from your crafting sessions!


See You Next Tuesday!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment