Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Cutting It Up

So, I took a little break.  Winter always gets to me.  My first craft fair had fairly low attendance.  So, the holidays happened.  I got this in a gift swap.  I've taken to calling it my weather dick! Or, as I sent to my brother... so I got my future mother in laws gift in the family gift swap.  I opened it and it just looked like a big glass dildo (the lettering was on the bottom).  So my MIL got me a big glass dildo I'm supposed to display in my house and it also predicts the weather. 


Also, I got engaged (YAY)




I got old!


I reorganized my life (more blogs about that to come) and here I am.  Anyway, For Christmas I got a serger sewing machine.  After I got acquainted slightly with it I decided to dive right into a project and alter a skirt I had.  I had been collecting sweaters for two months because I bought a pattern off this awesome Etsy entrepreneur I found: katwise and I'm going to make a knock off of one of her fabulous coats for myself :P



I also had an alpaca wool skirt that was an awkward length that I wanted to upcycle somehow.  So, it began to snow and I began to sew.  First I spread out all the sweaters I had found and then picked my colors.  I just freehand cut squares and serged them all together with the seams outward.  I serged some scraps together to make different looking squares.   It was a fun easy way to get used to the serger machine.  My next goal is to take the SUPER affordable beginner serger class I found on Facebook to really get to know the machine.  I'll let you know how it goes.



So there's my first serger project.  I had a lot of fun and am hooked already.  To see my inspiration feel free to check out my upcycle clothes Pinterest board.  I plan on making a lot more upcycled sweater outfits. So, check back for more inspiration.

See you next Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment